This room is named after a previous owner of the house, Dr John Sutherland. A retired ships Doctor, he became Mayor of Southwold, and gave his name to the house that is still in use today.
The Suite runs across the entire footprint of the top floor of the house and has three rooms, the sitting room, the bedroom and the bathroom. The bedroom has a view over the beautiful walled garden to the tower of St Edmunds Church, and on a Sunday morning at 10.00 o’clock our guests can enjoy the sound of the bells calling the parishoners of Southwold to church as they have for the past nine hundred years. The view from the sitting room is over the pantiled rooftops of Southwold to the Lighthouse that has warned sailors of the sand shoals of Sole Bay for many years.
The Suite has the original foot wide elm floorboards dating from 1455 and exposed oak struts. These contrast with the sumptous modern fabrics from Zoffany and The Designers Guild with design classics such as a Le Corbuisier Chaise Longue and an Eileen Grey coffee table.